April 03, 2005




NO ESCAPE

Happy Easter to one and all! I didn’t have the privilege of greeting you dear readers last week for fear that Mike might turn the tables on me! At any rate though, Nidz and I wish you all the peace of the Risen Christ.

During this great feast of Easter, we are called to rejoice in the Lord’s triumph and mercy. Christ is victorious over sin and death. Christ is compassionate to His repentant people. Indeed there is a special day set aside by the Church to celebrate how merciful God is – Mercy Sunday on 3rd April.

Catholic Filipinos don’t need to be reminded of that habit every 3 o’clock in the afternoon when most if not all TV/radio programmes (and schools/colleges) allocate a few minutes to remember the hour when Jesus died and to tell Him “Jesus I trust in You.” The 3 o’clock habit has become a mainstay in our lives since its inception in the nation in June 1985. The devotion to the Divine Mercy in our country has spread like wild fire since then. Apart from the 3 o’clock prayer, we also have the Chaplet of Mercy a copy of which is posted in our very own web. I started to know and pray this in the late 80s thanks to two women: Godmother Toyang Ronquillo and Grandaunt Mining Madamba, both now enjoying the presence of Jesus, King of Mercy. I introduced it in St Rita Hospital and later had an image of the Divine Mercy put in the chapel.

During my stint in the AP Youth in 1991, we organized Divine Mercy Chaplet Recitations and Triduum/Feast day Masses to honour the Lord. The following year, apart from the usual activities we also have a Holy Hour and a Film showing/Talk by Don de Castro, chief propagator of the devotion in the country. An off-shoot of these events was the recitation of the chaplet every Sunday before the 4pm Mass. Jonathan de la Llana, my successor, continued the practice. I was informed later that the devotion would be handled by another organization, but haven’t heard since then. What I did saw were a small group of parishioners bringing an image of the Lord from one house to another similar to the block rosary we all have grown up with. Our home in Gagalangin was blessed to have been visited by this holy image thanks to Tita Belen Ibañez and Mommy Norma Garcia who have been active in propagating the devotion among neighbours and friends (even those outside the district).

When I came to Nottingham, I really thought that I would miss a lot of devotions until Maundy Thursday 2004 came. As I was on my way home Madeleine Heraghty, a special minister of the Eucharist in our parish, asked me if I could carry the crucifix for the Mercy Sunday Service. I learned that the parish has been doing this for quite a time already. The service included the 3 o’clock prayer, Stations of the Cross (where I was asked to carry the crucifix), Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, and Confessions, to name a few. The Philippines was special mentioned because it stood out as one of the nations where Mercy Sunday is observed with utmost festivity.

This year I have been asked to make an appeal in our Sunday Masses inviting parishioners to participate in the service. Nidz will be doing her share as well in that activity. It seems that we have never really left home because the Lord has been here all along. It’s somewhat similar to the experience of Faustina who thought she could avoid Jesus, only to realize that she has been chosen to be the secretary of His Mercy. As the title of that film shown in Gagalangin puts it: “Divine Mercy No Escape.”

As we celebrate Mercy Sunday let us renew our trust in God who gives us every chance to change for the better. Let us also take this opportunity to become more compassionate to others especially the needy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name *
Subject: *
E-mail Address: *
Age
Message *
Contact No.

* RequiredPowered by myContactForm.com