January 09, 2005

MANONG


Meet MANONG PIETS - Tanghalang Anluwage's most prolific writer. A well-known disciple of St. Joseph. A chemist. A professor. And most of all, a husband to Nidz.

By PIETRO BS ALBANO

For in this way we shall do all that God requires. (Mt 3:17, TEV - 2nd edn © 1992)

I have been called "Manong" by my younger siblings and cousins. "Manong", I think, is the corruption of the Spanish word "hermano" which literally means "brother". Never have I thought that my colleagues in the AP Youth and Anluwage would call me just the same.

It touches my heart though, every time I hear them all call me "Manong" as if there's an aura of respect that they have bestowed on me. In fact, I am more humbled because these people, especially my colleagues whom I have no blood relations with, have considered me as their own. They look up to me and I have tried to support them in every step of the way. We are one and the same, bonded with the vision of our group. More so, we are united under one God and Father through the gift of Baptism.

To be called "Manong" is more of a challenge than an honour. In the same vein, to be called "Christian" is more of a responsibility - to both God and other Christians - than a privilege card to heaven.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name *
Subject: *
E-mail Address: *
Age
Message *
Contact No.

* RequiredPowered by myContactForm.com